Welcome to Year 2
I hope you have all enjoyed your week. This half term is always a busy one with Christmas performances to prepare for and lots of activities taking place. Your child will be coming home with a part to learn for our Christmas performance within the next couple of weeks, please take some time to learn these with your child. All other information about the Christmas performance will be with you shortly.
Miss Annese & Mrs Piercy
English: Your child will have regular phonics lessons, spellings will be learnt and tested within school time. Your child will receive 5 common exception words to learn and write into a sentence as part of the expected standards in Year 2. We will continue to perfect our use of cursive handwriting. Our writing focus will be on structure of narrative and non-fiction texts.
Maths: This half term will begin by recapping the work carried out so far on number and place value and addition. This will include reading, writing and ordering numbers to and above 100, as well as looking for and using number patterns. We will swiftly move onto multiplication and division methods and problem solving.
RE: We will cover the topic of Special Celebrations this half term. We will be looking at the Baptism and Marriage in detail describing the signs and symbols associated with each special celebration.
Science: Children will have the opportunity to work scientifically through asking and answering questions, observing, performing simple tests and gathering and recording data. We will be focusing on testing the suitability of materials.
Geography: This half term we will be looking at the world from a bird’s eye view. Children will have the opportunity to use maps, atlases and photographs to learn and use geographical vocabulary.
Arts: As artists the children will have the opportunity to develop ideas through exploration, master the techniques of painting skills and use a variety of mediums to create their own masterpieces. Children will also be practising songs for their Christmas performance.
ICT & Computing: The children will be using computers to code and debug programs.
- Please ensure that your child has his/her PE kit & Wellies in school on the days mentioned below and that all items belonging to your child are clearly labelled, including any uniform, hats, scarves and gloves. It is your child’s responsibility to look after their own belongings.
- Year 2 Oak – PE on Wednesdays, Forest school on alternate Fridays
- Year 2 Pear - PE on Mondays, Forest School on alternate Fridays
- Your child will change reading books three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and complete a weekly homework task. Spellings will be practised throughout the week and tested in school time. On Tuesdays and Thursdays please take the opportunity to re-read the school reading book and ask and answer questions. If you would like some ideas for questions to ask, please approach your child’s class teacher. Please ensure you take time to read a little with your child each day and ask questions about the text, we cannot stress the importance of this in aiding them with their comprehension skills.
- Please ensure children bring a water bottle to school to keep on their tables. As part of our Healthy Eating initiative children are only permitted water in the classroom. Thank you for your continued support.
- All year 2 newsletters and homework are uploaded to the Year 2 class webpage on a regular basis. If your child loses or is away when home learning is given out, please look on the website.