Welcome to Year 1
Miss L Malpass
I hope you have all had a relaxing half term. Thank you for your support with your child’s transition to Year 1. They have all made a good start to the academic year! We have an exciting half term ahead of us continuing with our topic ‘A Toys Story’ which the children have thoroughly enjoyed so far. This half term our learning focus is particularly on History and the Victorians. Our topic will begin with our visit from Hartlebury Museum. Preparation for our Christmas Nativity will also commence this half term. If you ever have any questions or queries, please don’t hesitate to come and see us at the end of the school day.
Miss Hancox and Miss Malpass
Literacy: Your child will have daily phonics and handwriting lessons, as well as a weekly spelling list based on key and high frequency words. Our class will be reading key fiction and non-fiction texts. We will continue to perfect our use of pre-cursive handwriting to work towards joining our letters. We will also write recounts and instructional texts. Our vocabulary, grammar and punctuation focus will continue to be sentence structure and will also include work on suffixes e.g. –ed, -ing, -s.
Numeracy: Moving on from our number and place value focus, we will continue by recording number sentences using the -, =, and + symbols. We will also begin to cover calculation by learning number bonds to 20 and counting in 2s. We will also begin to explore shape, space and measure. Time will be addressed during our topic work while learning about the past in history. We will start to explore the concepts of time by learning about units of time e.g. days, weeks and months. Problem Solving will be introduced towards the end of the term through Christmas based problems.
RE: We will cover the topics of Family and Celebrations, Jesus Teacher and Healer and then Advent in the lead up to Christmas. We will learn all about different family celebrations and why they are important to us as Christians. While learning about Advent we will read about the events leading up to Jesus’ birth, as well as prepare for our Christmas performance. Daily opportunities for prayer and reflection will take place. We will also be attending and taking part in Mass.
History: During our topic we will explore what ‘the past’ means and begin to order events from our lives. We will compare objects and situations from now and the past, identifying similarities and differences. Year 1 will also order events from the past.
Computing and ICT: During computing lessons we will begin to learn how to use the internet safely. For our topic we will make research about different time periods using the internet and other resources. We will use programmes such as Clicker, Purplemash and Education City within our topic work.
Science and D&T: We will be exploring materials and their properties in our Science lessons. This knowledge will support us in our D&T lessons where we will plan, make and evaluate our own puppets.
Drama and Music: This half term finishes with the Key Stage 1 Christmas performance. We will be preparing for this event throughout the half term by practising our drama and singing skills.
- Please ensure that all of your child’s uniform is labelled. We have had a few mixed up jumpers and coats already. Labels help us to track down the correct owners of various pieces of uniform!
- We still have children coming to school without a water bottle. Please ensure your child brings a water bottle to school every day.
- Your child will be informed of their spelling success after their Friday test. Any words they incorrectly spell will then be added to a list. This list will be given to the children at the end of a half term so they can practice these in the break. Please make sure reading and spelling practise is happening at home.
- Please ensure P.E kits return to school as soon as possible. P.E lessons are on a Friday.
- Please ensure your children have warm clothing ready for Woodland Warrior sessions. We will be going outside so it is essential they are wrapped up warm. Woodland Warriors will continue on a Thursday.
- If your child wears earrings please ensure they have tape to place over their earlobes during PE lessons.